PROJECT: PEACE PEDDLERS
The Project: Peace Peddlers (3P) mediation training program exists to address the escalation of unmanaged, negative conflict in middle- and high schools. The expression of negative conflict in schools is detrimental to students' social development and ability to learn, but can be mitigated through the 3P peer mediation program. Peer mediation training increases the student mediator's knowledge of the mediation process, and empowers him or her with the skills necessary to effectively mediate disputes between students engaged in conflict. Possessing mediation skills, the peer mediator can reduce instances of negative conflict and help students resolve their differences, peacefully.
GOALS OF 3P
- To increase awareness of the various causes, types, and sources of conflict.
- To increase awareness of the various types of conflict behavior.
- To increase awareness of the various conflict resolution processes, procedures, and ways to address conflict.
- To build awareness of conflict triggers.
- To build Emotional Intelligence (E.Q.) knowledge and skills.
- To build de-escalation skills.
- To enhance conflict communication skills.
- To build mediation skills.
The 3P workshops provide student mediators instruction and hands-on, experiential training on the principles and practices of conflict resolution. Participants will be provided training in the following areas:
- The Principles of Conflict Resolution
- The Role of Emotions in Conflict
- Conflict De-Escalation
- The Role of Communication in Conflict
- Conflict Mediation.
Following the workshops, student mediators will possess a practical set of skills they can use to manage emotional reactions in conflict, de-escalate conflict, engage in effective interpersonal communication, and conduct mediation sessions for students engaged in conflict.
3P WORKSHOP INFORMATION
Using a blend of lectures, individual and group activities, and skill-building and role play exercises, peer mediators will:
- Understand the causes and origins of conflict
- Identify common characteristics of individuals in conflict
- Learn the styles of responding to conflict
Identify the factors of conflict and reasons for conflict escalation
- Learn strategies for de-escalating conflict
- Understand neutrality and bias
- Learn how to give and receive feedback
- Learn emotional self-management strategies
- Learn effective communication for constructive dialogue
- Learn the 6-Steps to Mediation
- Learn the Problem-Solving process
- Learn to engage in meaningful and difficult conversations
The 3P program is conducted at the client's location over the course of (2) 8-hour days. The course is taught by an experienced conflict resolution specialist and includes training materials for up to 8 participants.