PEACEFUL SCHOOLS THROUGH CONFLICT RESOLUTION
The Peaceful Schools through Conflict Resolution (PSCR) program is a conflict resolution training program for K-12 school teachers and administrators. The PSCR program is designed to address the escalation of conflict in schools. Unmanaged conflict is detrimental to students' social development and ability to learn, but can be mitigated through conflict resolution training. Conflict resolution training increases teachers' knowledge and skills in conflict resolution, and enables them to effectively manage instances of conflict in their classrooms and schools. Possessing conflict resolution skills reduces instances of negative conflict and allows students to develop their full potential.
GOALS OF PSCR
- To increase awareness of the various causes, types, and sources of conflict.
- To increase awareness of the various types of conflict behavior.
- To increase awareness of the various conflict resolution processes, procedures, and ways to address conflict.
- To encourage the use of interest-based negotiation (collaborative negotiation, problem-solving) to manage and resolve conflict.
- To build awareness of conflict triggers.
- To build EQ knowledge and skills.
- To build negotiation skills.
- To build mediation skills.
- To build group facilitation skills.
- To enhance conflict communication skills.
- To build cooperation skills.
- To build de-escalation skills.
- To provide strategies for resolving conflict.
The school staff workshop provides school teachers and administrators instruction and hands-on, experiential training on the principles and practices of conflict resolution. School staff will be provided training in the following areas:
- The Principles of Conflict Resolution
- The Role of Emotions in Conflict
- Conflict De-Escalation
- The Role of Communication in Conflict
- Interpersonal Conflict Resolution
- Conflict Mediation
Following the workshop, participants will possess a practical set of conflict resolution skills they can use to manage emotional responses in conflict, de-escalate conflict, engage in effective interpersonal communication, negotiate, mediate, and resolve conflicts within their classrooms and schools.
PSCR WORKSHOP INFORMATION
Using a blend of lectures, individual and group activities, and skill-building and role play exercises, participants will:
- Understand the causes and origins of conflict
- Identify common characteristics of individuals in conflict
- Learn the styles of responding to conflict
- Identify the factors of conflict and reasons for conflict escalation
- Learn strategies for de-escalating conflict
- Learn interventions and prevention to conflict
- Understand neutrality and bias
- Learn how to give and receive feedback
- Learn emotional self-management strategies
- Learn effective communication for constructive dialogue
- Learn the 6-Steps to Interpersonal Conflict Resolution and Mediation
- Learn Group Facilitation and the Problem-Solving process
- Learn to engage in meaningful and difficult conversations
- Further develop leadership skills
The Peaceful Schools through Conflict Resolution program is conducted at the client's location over the course of (4) 8-hour days. The course is taught by an experienced conflict resolution training specialist and includes training materials for up to 20 participants.